Jarad & Jewelene's place for publishing I'm a Mormon.

Monday, April 6, 2009

General Conference


WATCHING CONFERENCE April 4-5, 2009

I believe in Christ. I know He's the Redeemer, the Savior and our Friend.

Today's April 6th. I love this day because it's a day I remember as His birth and that His Church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, was officially reorganized on this day. It's so wonderful to be a member. Today, we read from President Gordon B. Hinckley's little book, Stand a Little Taller, "April 6th GENERAL CONFERENCE "I will praise the Lord with my whole heart, in teh assembly of the upright, and in the congregation." Psalm 111:1 General Conferences are held to strengthen our testimonies of this work, to fortify against tempations and sin, to lift our sights, to receive instruction concerning the programs of the Church and the pattern of our lives."

My favorite talk was given by Elder Holland. I learn so much about the Atonement and feel so much more deeply blessed by His gift when Elder Holland speaks of Christ. My favorite book is one he's written, Trusting Jesus. I felt the Spirit testify to me that President Monson is Christ's prophet during the closing song and video, "We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet."

For Conference this year, we were with family. I couldn't have asked for a better place to be than with the Bradley's. I love that family. Every time I am with them, I learn a little more about how to be a happy mother and kind nurturer and better cook and friendly hostess. I'm so grateful for family.

It's amazing for me, sometimes, to think I have my own kid. Before we did, everyone said, "Church (and Conference) will be different when they come along, you won't be able to hear or learn or participate quiet like you did before..." It's true, it's different, but in so many good ways!

I loved watching General Conference with family, especially with Cai being a little older, sitting and listening...for a few minutes.
Tonight, for family home evening, Jarad shared what he learned from Priesthood meeting. While he was sharing, I was letting Cai watch his weekend with the volume turned down on the computer. Not 'til I put him to sleep, did I turn up the volume to make this video. If you'll listen closely, you'll hear Conference in the background! Even though I realize we were playing while taking these clips (not just the kids)--It's a two two-hour sessions each day for two days and I know the kids were watching and hearing glimpses and phrases of it, especially as Katie is so good at teaching, "There's the prophet" or "Were listening to the apostle"--the kids would stop and listen. I knew they were learning. Take time throughout the next six months to stop and listen www.lds.org. We'll be amazed at what we hear, see, and learn as we study, ponder and read/see the talks again, individually--it will all seem familiar, yet maybe a little new as the Spirit teaches you something you might have missed the first time --

2 comments:

Heather Sypher said...

Yea! I love conference and I love family! We had a lot of little kids at our house too. We put the toys downstairs though and they just played down there for a lot of conference. But we played outside during breaks and it was so fun! At one point a bunch of them were on the tramp and I crawled under it and told them to put their faces on the canvas. They thought it was so funny! They were laughing so hard! I love you guys! PS thanks for the video!

Bradleyfamily said...

Jewels, thanks so much for your sweet comments! I feel exactly the same about your family! We love you guys! What a great time we had with you guys! Thanks